When winter arrives and the warm days of summer are a thing of the past for a few months, many people feel their spirits begin to sink. Staying inside and becoming less active is something that is very common with many people during the winter months.
Check out my list of uplifting winter activities which can help you to feel revived and refreshed during the cold season of the year.
1. Open the house windows and let in the sunlight. This natural light will inspire you, lift your mood, and motivate you to get active.
2. Cook foods that are light and healthy to ward away gaining extra pounds which will only work to increase the winter blues and feeling of dreariness that often comes with the colder months.
3. Get your best friends together and take salsa lessons so you have an opportunity to get out of the house during the week.
4. At the beginning of winter, set some goals to have accomplished by the time winter is over. The goals may be to lose weight, learn how to salsa dance, make a quilt, or learn how to paint.
5. Every other week, splurge and buy some fresh flowers and place them in two of the main rooms of your home. Turn on some salsa music and practice your moves as you enjoy the beauty of your home and some time to yourself.
6. Embrace the winter and bundle up to go outdoors for some outside activity. Combining winter hiking and sledding with salsa classes and another activity will keep your body and mind inspired and refreshed.
7. Celebrate the winter with family and friends. There is no need to wait until the holidays to begin spending time with friends and extended family members who live nearby.
8. Once a month, plan a romantic dinner out with your spouse and with another couple. Go to a gourmet restaurant and enjoy a glass of wine, soft music, and a dimly lit atmosphere.
9. Take up a hobby indoors which will allow you a chance to do something productive and creative while the weather outside turns cold and harsh.
10. Remodel a room in your home. This can be done on a budget and will provide a chance to remain busy, be creative, and to enhance your home interior.
Taking time to do things to ward off the winter blues can increase not only your mood, but your physical health as well. Participating in any of the suggestions listed above means you are taking an active and assertive approach to:
a.) Stay positive,
b.) Enjoy the winter season to the fullest,
c.) Keep your physical and social life healthy.
This can become a positive habit to form each year as winter approaches and soon, you will no longer be dreading a long, cold winter!
Tony Rausseo is a choreographer, instructor and a Hot Latin Dance Author Copyrighted January 16, 2013 to www.hotlatinsalsa.com